Tuesday, November 20, 2018
You are here: Home » Carousel » Controversial CPDM Militant Johnson Ayuk Dies Bookmark This Page

Controversial CPDM Militant Johnson Ayuk Dies 

By Maxcel Fokwen

The death has been reported of Johnson Ayuk, a militant of the ruling Cameroon People’s Democratic Movement, CPDM.
The Post learnt that the controversial CPDM die-hard died in Buea on Friday, November 13.
He is reported to have died as relatives were finalising plans to fly him out of the country for medical care.

He had been ill for a while and had not been seen in public, especially in Kumba for many months.
A CPDM kingpin in Meme IC Kumba, Ayuk turned his back to the party’s militants as he campaigned in favour of the Social Democratic Front, SDF, party in the 2013 municipal elections.

For four days, Ayuk carried intense media campaigns for the SDF, hence Kumba III CPDM militants voted on September 30, 2013 in confusion.

Ayuk had told reporters on September 27, 2013, that he was dissatisfied with the CPDM list in Kumba III.
Asked on what platform he called on militants to vote another party, Ayuk told The Post back then that he was a grassroots militant. He had challenged those who think that grassroots militants have no role to play to wait for the outcome of the elections.

On why he threw his weight behind the SDF which he decamped in 1997 with allegations of having received FCFA 20 million from the CDPM, Ayuk stated that Cameroon has only two political parties; the SDF and the CPDM. He had told The Post that it is the same CPDM militants who were also accusing him of receiving FCFA 16 million from the SDF party.

Before his demise, he had already started warning SDF Mayors and the Parliamentarian for Kumba ahead of the 2018 elections that if their development drives do not meet public expectations; he was going to campaign against them.

Ayuk was convicted on December 7, 2004, for the murder of Kumba-based Barrister Martin Eseme, but he regained freedom on August 19, 2008.
The Buea Appeal Court granted bail to Ayuk after he had served four years at the Buea Central Prison.

    Add a Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *