Tuesday, November 20, 2018
You are here: Home » News » Fire Renders 17 Students Homeless Bookmark This Page

Fire Renders 17 Students Homeless 

By Isidore Abah

A fire that erupted in HM’S Belend Flats Hostel in Molyko, Buea, Southwest Region, at about 5.00pm, Wednesday, April 30, left 17 students homeless.

The victims lost everything including books and personal documents.

Eyewitnesses said a short circuit might have caused the fire due to the poor electrical wiring of the hostel. 

Even though there were no human casualties, the fire caused considerable material loss with TV and musical sets, refrigerators, gas cookers and other household appliances wrecked. The material damages are estimated in the millions.

Sunday Agbor Obi recounted how a final-year student of the University of Buea collapsed after her laptop containing her research project was ravaged by the fire.

He said the fire became uncontrollable when cooking gas bottles started exploding in different rooms and the tenants, most of whom are students, could only flee for their lives, with some jumping through the windows.

The forces of law and order were helpless as they only stood by and watched the fire raze the building. 

Buea, the capital of the Southwest Region, has no fire fighting unit.

 

    Add a Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    *


    *