Wednesday, November 14, 2018
You are here: Home » Carousel » Kumbo Water Crisis: Northwest Governor Warns Fon To Steer Clear Else… Bookmark This Page

Kumbo Water Crisis: Northwest Governor Warns Fon To Steer Clear Else… 

By Andrew Nsoseka

Northwest Governor, Adolphe Lele L'Afrique

Northwest Governor, Adolphe Lele L’Afrique

The Governor of the Northwest Region, Adolf Lele L’Afrique, has issued a communiqué, warning the Fon of Nso to steer clear from the management of water in Kumbo or face the heavy arm of the law.

According to the Governor, the management of Water in Kumbo is the responsibility of the State and not that of the Fon.

“I have the honour to inform you that the management of potable water in urban and semi-urban milieu is the direct responsibility of the State,” the Governor wrote.

The Governor’s communiqué comes after the people of Nso defied the orders of the Senior Divisional Officer, SDO, for Bui, armed militia and the heavy rains to answer the Fon’s call, despite a ban on all public gatherings.

During the meeting between Shem Mbinglo I and his subjects, the Fon stated that “Kumbo water belongs to the Nso people and will continue to be their property.

From this moment, all Nso people should buy pipes and install water in their houses, free of charge, and report to me accordingly. Those who have metres should remove all of them and bring them to me immediately.”

When the people returned to their houses, they began dismantling water metres like the Fon had instructed.

The Fon also gave the SDO an ultimatum to demilitarise the Kumbo water installation.
In his communiqué, the Governor said he was writing in reaction to the Fon’s letter and the ultimatum given to the SDO of Bui, demanding the demilitarisation of the Kumbo water installations and the immediate removal of CAMWATER and CDE Engineers from Kumbo water installations.

The Governor further instructed the Fon to take orders from the SDO regarding the Kumbo water crisis.
Meanwhile, on the social media, the support of the Fon of Nso continues to grow, with many natives of Nso pledging to stand by their Fon and do whatever is deemed necessary for Nso people to manage their water as they have done for the past 40 years.

Some critics have quickly related the Kumbo crisis to that of Bangolan, asking what the administration has done to solve it.

Others have quickly faulted the administration as having fueled the crisis for personal gains.
Some simply expressed fear that the politics setting into the crisis might soon reduce Nso land to rubbles like what is happening in Bangolan.

The Governor ended his letter by declaring that the Fon will be responsible for anything that happens due to his “refusal to submit to instructions of the local authorities”.

The Fon had earlier warned his subjects to avoid provoking the troops sent to Kumbo and maintained that he will not step out of his palace again to attend water crisis meetings, since the administration has refused to do what is right.

Meanwhile, reports on the social media say the Fon’s instruction for people to remove water metres and bring to the palace is being heeded, even by those who had earlier supported the Mayor against the Fon.

Shem Mbinglo had told his subjects that water will be free for one year, under which,Nso sons of goodwill will finance the treatment of the water.

    Add a Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    *


    *